Friday, June 30, 2006

 

Imported TV

Basil and I took a long vacation to Canada recently. While flipping through the channels one morning in our hotel room, we came across Treehouse TV. It's Canada's kids station, and birthplace of some of Playhouse Disney's programming.

THE GOOD

This is Daniel Cook is awesome. We love Daniel in our house. I want to buy Petunia Daniel's DVD so that we can watch his five-minute adventures whenever we want. We have gotten tons of mileage out of Daniel's trip to the market, where he ate exotic fruit. Our Petunia has tried berries, plums, melon, and starfruit just to be like Daniel.

He's a plucky kid who goes out and experiences cool things. Petunia has the awe for him that she has for all big kids, and giving little kids the opportunity to watch big kids out and about in the real world makes for some great kids programming.

THE BAD

The Doodlebops, of course, are straight outta hell. Their songs are sort of "rock-n-roll" toddler music, which means that they're practically unsingable for small children. DeeDee, Rooney and Moe are spazzy dancers, and Moe unnecessarily breakdances in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

I don't get why they're orange, blue and pink and whether or not they're supposed to be actual people or some sort of new species, but the makeup, costumes and sets are such a cacophony of obnoxiously loud colors that it makes me want to have a seizure.

The only slightly enjoyable part of the show is Busdriver Bob. He sings the "Get on the Bus" song when it's time for the overearnest freaks to go to their concert. This song actually has a distinguishable tune, and the lyrics are simple and easy to understand.

The best part of the song is at the end when Bob gets to do his little hitchin-a-ride move while saying, "Hey...come on...we're gonna take a bus ride" and then he pretends to drive the bus while singin, "Yeah...come on...we're gonna take a bus ride."

Too bad the other 22 minutes of the show are unwatchable.

Comments:
I can't stand the Doodlebops! Seriously, does ANYONE actually watch the show?
 
Yes.

...what? Leave me alone. I think they're awesome, but Bob freaks me the heck out.

(late to the party, as usual, bad blogger, BAD!)
 
Doodlebops seriously are the worse thing on tv. And bus driver bob, though he has a catchy tune, reminds me a little of the generic pedophile on every cop show these days.
Stabler: "So you like kids huh pervert!"
Bob: "I only asked them to get on my bus. I never forced them to. They love my bus!"
Stabler: "Sure, crusing the parks in a brightly painted bus, and you're not trying to attract kids?"
Bob: "Hey! THEY LOVE MY BUS! "
Stabler: "Go here to there? Go everywhere? EVERYWHERE! You're a sicko."
Bob: "I...I only take them where they want to go! They're the Doodlebops."
Stabler: "Doddlebops, Doodlebopping. Whatever you call it, it's all adds up to some SERIOUS TIME FREAK!"

I see an Emmy for SVU in that one!
 
Ok I just have to say they are one of my son's favorites. He sings with all their songs, and dances to the music. He even asked for the DVD. It's one of the few shows he has liked since he was 18 months old, he is now over 3. If the show was aimed for adults I could see complaining but it is aimed for little kids and they seem to love it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?